Thanksgiving is next week! It is hard to believe that the holiday season has arrived. In my best efforts to help out the vegheads, I will be featuring a few simple vegetarian sides that will please everyone at your table. Because, lets be honest, the sides are the best part of the meal.
Sweet potatoes are a staple at most Thanksgiving tables. Try something spicy and a little sweet this year and make these spiced rubbed sweet potato wedges with tahini honey and toasted pecans.
Spiced Sweet Potatoes with Tahini Honey and Pecans
makes 4 servings
(recipe can be doubled or tripled)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 - 2 tablespoons warm filtered water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup, oil, ginger, coriander, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Spread out on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray and roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until crispy and caramelized. Rotate potatoes half way through cooking.
- While the potatoes are roasting, whisk together the tahini, 1 tablespoon water, honey, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Add more water as needed to reach desired consistency. For a thinner sauce, add more lime juice and water. For thicker sauce, add less water.
- Once potatoes are cooked, place on a platter, drizzle with tahini and finish with lime zest, pecans, and chopped parsley. Alternatively, serve the sauce on the side. Best eaten warm.