You may be expecting me to say skip the booze this season to ward off any unwanted upward increments on the scale, but I am a realist and, like any good Registered Dietitian, I preach moderation. Enter the good ole' Eggnog, typically so naughty and loaded with cream, sugar, and booze - definitely a NO GO. To meet my festive revelers more than half way, I offer you the not-so-naughty nog. A vegan spin on a decadent classic that leaves you satisfied, minus the hangover and sugar rush.
not so naughty nog
- 1 cup hazelnuts, soaked overnight, drained
- 3 cups filtered water
- 3 pitted Medjool dates, if not soft, soak in water until softened and drain
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup bourbon, optional
- In a high speed blender, process hazelnuts and water until creamy and smooth, approximately 3 minutes. Press milk through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag into a large bowl. Rinse blender.
- Combine strained milk, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, maple, nutmeg, and cloves in blender and process until well mixed.
- Served chilled with bourbon, cinnamon sticks, and ground nutmeg if you wish.