Holiday parties are in full swing. Set a new standard this season with some healthy and nourishing holiday fare that will leave your partygoers feeling light and satisfied.
Pop off the party with bowls of these spicy and sweet nuts.
Maple Chipotle Roasted Nuts
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 3 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 2 cups raw unsalted walnut halves
- 2 cups raw unsalted pecan halves
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbps maple sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsps freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp dried lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 4 tbsps minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt to taste
Combine nuts, oil, maple syrup, sugar, juice, and spices on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Toss to combine. Top with two tablespoons minced rosemary and a light dusting of salt. Spread nuts out evenly and roast at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Stir nuts every 10 minutes. Remove from oven, finish with remaining rosemary, and toss again. Serve warm or at room temperature. Nuts can be stored in airtight containers or packaged in mason jars or small bags as gifts.
Trade in basic shrimp cocktail for these spicy roasted shrimp with cooling tzatziki.
Spicy Roasted Shrimp with Tzatziki
- 12 wild medium-sized shrimp, shelled with tail remaining, de-veined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps paprika
- 2 tbsps cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
Combine garlic, spices, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice in a bowl. Add shrimp. Cover, chill, and marinate for 2-3 hours.
Remove shrimp from marinade and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Roast shrimp for 2 1/2 minutes a side at 350 degrees. Serve with tzatziki for dipping.
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps dill, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve with spicy shrimp and/or crudities.
Bored of bruschetta? Try this pumpkin crostini with a kick.
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 6 sage leaves, ribboned
- 10 raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted, avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6- 1 1/2 inch thick slices walnut raisin bread
Toss pumpkin, honey, chili flakes, sage, walnuts, salt, and coconut oil on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Spread pumpkin mixture out evenly and roast for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. While the pumpkin roasts, brush bread with olive oil and toast in the oven until lightly crisp. Allow pumpkin mixture to cool to room temperature. Scoop pumpkin mixture on toasted bread and serve.